Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Reason #372 Why Being an Adult is Hard- by Kathy

Friday night Gwen and I had to deal with two aspects of a serious Life Problem.  She walked into my bedroom around dinner time and announced, "Cafe Latte doesn't have an on-line menu.  I really want some soup, but I don't want to walk all the way there if they don't have a soup I want."  I commiserated, "I know!  But the menu changes every day, so it would be annoying to update.  You could always call."  "Yeah," she agreed, "but then I would have to talk to someone."  Talking to strangers is something we here at Lincoln House avoid like the plague.  And since the world is overdue for another worldwide epidemic I don't think anyone has a right to judge us.

I then presented my related problem.  A side effect of not going out to eat as often has been my desire to make those purchased meals really, really worthwhile.  This was augmented by Pizza Luce dropping an ad off at our house.  It has been sitting on our dining room puzzle table for a week at least.  It highlights several of their more popular pizzas, and has a large picture of my personal favorite: Baked Potato Pizza.  For those of you who don't know about this pizza Pizza Luce offers the following description, "Pizza crust smothered in buttery-garlic baby red mashed potatoes and topped with broccoli, fresh diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of smoked apple hickory bacon.  Served with a side of sour cream."  Seriously.  It's like having your own slice of heaven, only instead of a slice it's an entire pizza.

I had actually been staring at the Pizza Luce website trying to get up the courage to order when Gwen walked in.  "I could order on-line, and they deliver, and it's free delivery, so that's all fine," I began.  "I would answer the door for you if you wanted," Gwen offered.  "Actually the issue is the tip," I explained, "I only have twenties.  And I hate having to physically hand a person their tip in any case, but to have them make change for me and then hand a small portion of that money to them as tip is just too much."  She nodded.

Tipping is an extremely uncomfortable situation for me always, even when I get to write a number on a slip of paper that I then tuck upside down inside a bill... folder... padded... thingy.  Digital money unseen by any other real people until after I make a hasty retreat from the restaurant makes me break into a panicked sweat.  Forget having to look someone in the eye just to the left of their head awkwardly and hand them a couple crumpled dollar bills.  I just can't handle the stress of facing someone who as a result of my tip either thinks I'm a sucker or cheap.  I'm not either; I just have zero confidence in my math and people skills.

Gwen and I migrated to our adult room and sat at the puzzle table trying to gather the strength to attain the meals we desired.  After about five minutes we both gave up and ate left-overs from the fridge.

When I related this story to Erica all she had to say was, "I would have done the same thing.  Typical Lincoln House... you should blog about it."

Champions of life.
-------------------
It is also getting sort of ridiculous that I actively try to blog about something other than food but even our non-recipe ideas are food related.  I have tried multiple times to post a Miley music video Lu and I made but I can't figure out how to get videos to work.  Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. That is the funniest blog ever. Cracks me up! You guys are so alike. I hear, "I would have to talk to someone" quite often from Laura too. Hilarious! Btw,this is Mary, but I don't know how to change the G-ma thing.......

    ReplyDelete